Re: XHTML

Subject: Re: XHTML
From: sam th (sam@bur-jud-118-039.rh.uchicago.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 10:32:55 CST

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> [...]

In fact, it (abiword-generated XHTML) works in every browser I could run
on my machine.

> I see no need for *two* exporters, one for HTML and one for XHTML, since
> XHTML will work in all HTML UAs. That's like saying we need one exporter
> for HTML 4, one for HTML 3 and one for HTML 2. HTML 4.01 documents will
> work ok in HTML 3.2 browsers, since the browsers would ignore the new
> 4.01 elements/attributes. XHTML contains *no* new elements/attributes

AbiWord doesn't even use any of the new feature of HTML 4.0. The XHTML
generated by AbiWord (with the patch I recently submitted) even validates
as HTML 3.2. Sadly, it doesn't validate for HTML 2.0. So, as long as the
browser supports standards from 1996, it will properly display the XHTML
we generate.

> --#
> Karl Ove Hufthammer

Good to know someone aggrees with me.