Apologies (Was: My $0.02 about scripting)

Subject: Apologies (Was: My $0.02 about scripting)
From: Mike Meyer (mwm@mired.org)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 16:52:27 CDT

sam th writes:
> > Nope. C++ combines the worst features of C and OO programming. I fix
> > bugs in other people's C++ programs, but don't write it if I can avoid
> > it.
> Please. Scripting language debates are one thing, but we already have
> chosen C++, and don't need a flamewar about it.

Sam is correct, and I apologize for making such a flameboyant (sic)
statement. I didn't mean to start a flame war, merely to explain why
*I* am not a C++ programmer. When choosing a language for an open
source project, social issues are at least as important as technical
ones. I wasn't around during that stage of the AbiWord project, so I'm
not qualified to comment on the social issues. I had no intention to
criticize or fault the choice of C++ for AbiWord.

However, I would like to point out that anyone doing OO program
development who hasn't read Bertrand Meyer's (no relation) "Object
Oriented Software Construction" is doing themselves a
disservice.

Finally, if you *really* want to discuss why I feel that way about
C++, drop me a note off the list.

        <mike