Re: size of GUI font

Subject: Re: size of GUI font
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 22:04:29 CDT

I think we should keep things simple. I vote #2. It's a quick easy
change, and there no serious repercussions. Also, the preferences dialogs
are going to get way to crowded as it is. Choosing solution #2 also has
the added benefit of letting move on to improve other areas of the
application.

At 04:53 PM 7/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
>There is this thing called the GUI font. Along with possibly other
>things I haven't come across yet, it is used for writing stuff into
>the status bar and writing the numbers on the rulers on the top and
>left. On some platforms (BeOS, Win32), it looks like the font and
>size used are some sort of system GUI font. On other platforms (QNX,
>Unix), the font is explicitly set as a 10pt sans serif font. (Mac is
>not implemented, but I imagine it will eventually fall into the former
>category.)
>
>For whatever reason, the 10pt font is too small to be read clearly on
>my Linux/XFree86/KDE 800x600 system. For example, I can't really tell
>that "INS" is "INS" and I can't read whatever-it-is that shows up in
>that new progress bar sometimes. I have a hankering to make the size
>of the font be a bigger on the platforms where it is currently
>hard-wired as 10pt right now, or at least on Unix. Of course, I've
>already tried this, and it looks just dandy on my system at 12pt.
>
>2. Convince anyone who cares that 12pt is the right size to use, at
>least on Unix, and then under the cover of darkness change the
>hardwired constant in gr_UnixGraphics::getGUIFont() from 10 to 12.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist