Re: commit - Insert symbol button (was Re: commit - Show/hide Standard/Format/Extra toolbars)

Subject: Re: commit - Insert symbol button (was Re: commit - Show/hide Standard/Format/Extra toolbars)
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 11:26:38 CDT

sam> Please, of these, only spelling should be even remotely
sam> considered. I know you are at least partially kidding, but I
sam> don't even think that insert symbol needs to be on the toolbar.
sam> People just don't use it that often. Additionally, some of the
sam> other buttons could be taken off, once we replicate their
sam> functionality in dialogs (hint hint), such as 1.5 spacing and
sam> space-before.

I wholeheartedly agree with this general sentiment. As a general rule
of thumb, the way I think about it is that things I use at most once
per document (for example, the paragraph spacing) aren't good
candidates for the toolbar. Things I use more than once in a single
sit-down editing session (for example, font changes and text
decorations) are obvious candidates for the toolbar. Things I'm
likely to use about once per sit-down editing session are borderline
cases, and the reason they exist is so that we have something that
everyone can disagree about. :-)