Re: FYI: librsvg

Subject: Re: FYI: librsvg
From: Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Date: Tue Jul 25 2000 - 17:34:27 CDT

At 4:34 PM -0500 7/25/00, Justin Bradford wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>
> > Rather than reinvent the wheel, we should probably look at bringing
> > it over to replace the work that Justin did, since it's much further
> > along in actually rendering SVG.
>
>Well, I had no intention of writing a complete SVG renderer, but if we can
>make use of librsvg, that would be even better.

        I don't see any reason why we can't - unless the lpgl license
of libart/librsvg gets in the way of the Abi license.

>I have the SVG parsing
>code mostly done, but have been stalled by the limited XP graphics context
>which Abi currently has (lines, rects, and polygons), and that's a much
>bigger project than parsing style lines.

        Yup! So putting libart into place for that aspect would
solve the problem.

>Also, I know that Raph has done some work on the FreeType code while
>working on librsvg,

        Yeah, saw that FreeType and libart have been getting closer...

>and pending a modern GUI for unix, it would be
>interesting to see if we could simply back the unix gr_Graphics with
>libart and freetype.

        I'd be concerned about speed issues when used a complete
replacements for gr_Graphics. Raph and I were discussing issues
involved with "hooking" graphics acceleration systems, like Xlib
itself does, but it's not there now.

Leonard

                   You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65