Re: Newbie Help / Collapsible Outline Status Report

Subject: Re: Newbie Help / Collapsible Outline Status Report
From: Michael D. Pritchett (mpritchett@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 02:21:31 CDT

> Questions:
> Is there a set of step by step instructions for newbies specifically
> aimed at building AbiWord under Windows 95 and VC++? Is there a set of
> step by step instructions for newbies specifically aimed at developing
> for an Open Source project under Windows 95 and VC++?

There are a lot of instructions all over the place. Unfortunately they are
for solving specific problems. As far as I can find, there is no
read-one-document-and-go in development no matter the OS or platform. The
web page for developers was my starting point not too long ago. It can
certain help you get started.

> --UNLESS--
> I'm making a mistake by even attempting to build and develop under
> Window 95 and VC++?
>
> Background: Over the next several months, I anticipate switching to
> Linux. Even so, I am used to working in an IDE with a debugger. (From
> Turbo Pascal days and, more recently, Visual Basic.) I dread using a
> command line debugger which I understand gdb is. I think that for the
> forseeable future I'd like to debug in VC++ with its' integrated
> debugger, object browser, etc.
>
> Is that a terrible mistake? Will I be able to effectively develop
> within VC++, or should I switch to gcc? Will I be able to make
> effective patches from VC++ and the "windows" tools?

Use the tools you know to help anyway you can. Cygwin stuff provides for
the tools you may will need (ie. patch, diff, make) outside of the
compiler/linker/debugger. The only thing missing is help. For that just
ask.

> Is it a mistake to attempt to document this oddysey?

Such documentation would have help me get started a lot quicker. As it was,
I was forced to learn, just as it seems you are doing. I say no mistake in
documenting. Help the next person along if you can.

Cheers!

Michael D. Pritchett
newbie