Re: Possibly RTF import bug: spaces disappear in non-Latin texts

Subject: Re: Possibly RTF import bug: spaces disappear in non-Latin texts
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 10:24:18 CDT

This is a different problem than the one solved by the RTF patch for bug
#569 by Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr). The report for that fix was
that RTF export no longer produces extra spaces after accented chars.

It seems in this case though, Ted is doing something a little different
that AbiWord is not handling, whereas other applications seem to correctly
import this file gracefully and with the correct number of spaces.

I have logged this as a separate issue, bug #886. Whoever takes a look at
this should probably make sure their fixes do not break #569.

At 01:13 PM 6/4/00 +1100, sam@stl.ru wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
>Last two weeks I've worked much with texts in Russian usuing Abi. I find
>it handy and useful, but there's one strange thing in its behavior.
>
>I use Abi 0.7.9 on Linux.
>
>When I import some .rtf file, Abi keeps spaces in texts, containing only
>Latin chars, but "eats up" all spaces in non-Latin texts, e.g. Russian.
>

>Exploring the problem I found that Abi separates words in .rtf files by
>double-space (0x20 0x20), while some other editors use single-space
>(0x20). So, Russian texts typed in Abi and converted into RTF were
>imported back without any damage, but texts typed in Ted were damaged
>when I try to open them by Abi.
>
>Next, as I replaced all spaces with double spaces in Ted-generated
>document, it was opened by Abi without any damage.
>
>I'm not sure if this an Abi bug, a Ted bug or something else.
>I just can state that, unless it doesn't matter in English texts (or
>anything else based on Latin characters), there's a significant
>difference in RTF import of non-Latin texts, separating words by
>single-space or double-space, making first of them unreadable.
>So, the questions are:
>
>1. Is it necessary to use double-space (e.g. because of RTF standard)?
>If it's not so, why Abi does that?
>2. If it's so, is it necessary to require double-spaces in *IMPORT*
>rather then just write them in export?
>
>(Here also some sample files, including Abi-generated, Ted original and
>patched ones. Each of them contains a short comment and six sample
>"words": three "words" containing Latin capital letters A,B,C, and three
>"words", containing first three letters of Russian alphabet.
>The spaces between "Latin" words are kept everywhere, but in "Russian"
>text only in original Abi document and patched Ted document. In
>original Ted .rtf all three "non-Latin" words are joined into a single
>word.)
>
>SY, Serge Musorin.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist