Re: Why We Should Use the STL (fwd)

Subject: Re: Why We Should Use the STL (fwd)
From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 05:35:49 CDT

I used to have a big fear of the STL and templates. This came from
newsgroup and mailing list postings from people trying to port code
written for other compilers that they couldn't get working, and I
generally regarded it as something to be avoided.

However, those postings were several major releases ago for all the
compilers concerned. And lately I've been reading STL Tutorial and
Reference Guide by Musser and Saini, which makes it all pretty clear.

The only real beef I have is that when I use a template incorrectly, I
get the most amazing error message and it's really hard to figure out.
But usually when I do get it figured out it's simpler than I imagined.

What prompted me to post (usually I just lurk on this list) is the
mention that you can't use the string template in Abiword, because you
use Unicode. I encourage you to take a look at the DOMString class and
the XMLString type in the Xerces DOM and Sax XML library at
http://xml.apache.org

DOMString is just great. It's a handy string class with the added
utility of DOMString::transcode() member functions for converting to and
from ASCII or other local code page strings.

I have Xerces working on Mac and Windows with the Metrowerks Codewarrior
Pro compiler, btw.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com