Re: FreeBSD version (was Re: Type 1 postscript font support questions...)

Subject: Re: FreeBSD version (was Re: Type 1 postscript font support questions...)
From: Mike Meyer (mwm@mired.org)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 17:32:51 CDT

Paul Rohr writes:
> There are two issues here -- what release do FreeBSD developers prefer to
> use when building the sources, and what release is the prototypical
> binary-only FreeBSD user most likely to have installed?

I don't know that I've ever met a "binary-only FreeBSD user." People
do tend to leave production machines alone, but those are typically
not machines that one would install AbiWord on, being public web
servers, or DSL routers, or such things.

> I don't know what life is like in the FreeBSD community, but on many of our
> more traditional desktop platforms, people who just use binaries tend not to
> upgrade their OS anywhere near as often as developers do. Thus, we tend to
> be a bit conservative when deciding to upgrade our build machines.

One approach the AbiWord team might take - for binary distributions -
is to verify that the linux binaries run on FreeBSD using the Linux
emulation package. That's what the FreeBSD development team recommends
to commercial developers, as it means their total investment in Unix
development (and FreeBSD in particular) is smaller. In that case,
making sure you run on the previous version is probably
sufficient. 3.4 now, going to the latest version of 4.x when
5.0-RELEASE shows up.

For that matter, if you've got an automated regression test, I'd be
happy to run it on release candidates of the linux binaries on my
machine.

Is it possible to script AbiWord on a Unix box?

        Thanx,
        <mike