Re: Embedding and linking in Linux

Subject: Re: Embedding and linking in Linux
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 14:01:56 CDT

El Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Martin Sevior escribió:
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Andrew Goh wrote:
>
> > hi,
> >
> > MS Win* has got OLE, Active X deeply embedded in its framework.
> > Its suite of office apps have taken in this approach, e.g.
> > in Win Word u can embed an Excel spread sheet.
> >
> > Is it quite possible to do the same in Linux/Gnome,KDE perhaps +
> > Corba(orbit?) environment?
> >
> Definately. That's bonobo in gnome and kparts in KDE.
>
> > Is Abiword going to take a similar approach for embedding and linking?
> >

> I certainly hope so. I know of one AbiWord hacker who has been trying to
> get this going for the GNOME front end.

I will try to upgrade my (very) old branch of AbiWord with bonobo support to
the actual cvs tree when I finish my exams.

Really, the bonobo stuff is very simple, the problems come from the AbiWord
side :

 * for embeding, the GdkDrawable that uses the view to show the doc has to be
converted to something that can embed a widget (a GtkLayout, for instance), or
the gr/unix stuff has to be expanded to make possible the embedding of widgets
(in my branch I converted the GdkDrawable to a GtkLayout... a 1 hour work, but
it flicker too much... I will need to take a closer look at the GtkLayout code).

 * to be embeded (for instance, a mailer may wants to embed a AbiWord view to
show a Word document), the GdkDrawable (or whatever) + the scrollbars, rulers,
etc. have to be converted in a real widget.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
e-mail: cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr