Re: New Bug: #920

Subject: Re: New Bug: #920
From: Pierre Abbat (phma@oltronics.net)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 18:26:46 CDT

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>This is, unfortunately, standard behavior in XWindows. The idea is that
>the selections mechanism works by pasting whatever's currently selected.
>So, for standard-abiding X applications, X can only have one thing
>selected at a time. At least that's how I understand it.
>
>I don't know enough about the X clipboard or selection mechanisms to try
>to change this in AbiWord. I remember that the UnixClipboard file has a
>huge comment describing everything (but it was more of a rant :)).

The selection and the clipboard are two different things. When you hit the
middle button, you should paste the selection to the location hit. When you hit
the Paste button, you should paste the contents of the clipboard to the caret
position. When you hit the Copy button, and the selection is in your window,
you should copy the selection to the clipboard.

If you are using KDE, you will get interoperability problems - KDE uses
something else as the clipboard. That's their fault, not ours.

phma