Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone

Subject: Re: Scripting with Visual Basic Clone
From: Tomasz Wegrzanowski (maniek@beer.com)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 22:35:27 CDT

On Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 02:48:23AM +0000, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> I feel exactly the same way about Baisc. If AbiWord implemented scripting
> in Basic -- NOT Fortran, COBOL, or even Intercal, but BASIC, then I would
> probably have to fork it. I _HOPE_ this doesn't happen. PLEASE give people
> a real programming language rather than some overhyped, proprietary,
> IP-issue-plauged, BASIC language!
>
> I am a bit of a fanatic over BASIC. I hate GNOME now that they're working
> on gnome-basic to be compatable with Visual Basic.
>
> I just really hate BASIC and wouldn't want to see a good program have
> anything to do with it.
>
> Aaron Lehmann

Could you people talk BASIC fans and make them write BASIC plugin
to GUILE ??? (GUILE is language independent)

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, sam th wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Big Ed wrote:
> >
> > > Actually that's a pretty good idea. One of the things that is going to have
> > > to happen is people are going to have to learn yet another scripting
> > > language to create macros/etc., but if you can use a VBS clone, that will
> > > make the transition CONSIDERABLY easier. But please remember to restrict
> > > the ever-living mess out of the VB clone to avoid macro virii.
> >
> > I would finally like to weigh in on the VB question with the view that I
> > hope never to be associated with a product involving the unmitigated
> > agony that is BASIC (and esp VB). In my opinion, the only langauages that
> > I have seen that are worse (for general programming) are COBOL and Fortran
> > (and I don't know much about either, so they might grow on me). I agree
> > with Paul that the world only needs one word processor. And I don't know
> > if I could sleep at night, if I helped make the world's dominant word
> > processor a vehicle for one of the world's worst programming languages.
> >
> > As I have said, I would prefer Scheme. Scheme is easy to learn (it has
> > almost no syntax rules) and encourages good programming and is fun. I
> > don't neccessarily think this means we should us Guile (which might well
> > be overkill). But I imagine there will be violent opposition to any
> > LISP-derivative. So I would settle for a nice, easy to learn, cleanly
> > structured language such as Python. Or a complex, difficult to learn
> > language such as C++. Or even Ada. But please, not BASIC.

This isn't true Scheme is easy to learn.
For example, adding 2 + 2
People tend to think it is 2 + 2, not + 2 2 nor 2 2 +.
There are of course more such problems.

I think that for most people who already know some programming
easy-to-learn = similar-to-C
because 99% people knowing any programming language know some
C-like programming language (c, perl, c++, objc, delphi, java, even python)

Please find (or invent - it's FREE-software world, everyone is free to create
a new language) a language with minimum syntax and almost-no silly
characters. Then we will start Replacement-For-VBasic Crusade. :-)
        ( this paragraph is real, there is real lack of such language,
          and inventing languages is easier now that any time before )