Re: List Patch (2)

Subject: Re: List Patch (2)
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 10:18:42 CST

At 12:49 AM 2/28/00 +0200, Luke Jordan wrote:
>Okay, this patch works as of my last cvs update. Just a couple of things
to add,
>first I've added a listid attribute so working out where lists begin and end
>works much better when loading. Also, I changed a couple of things strictly
>outside the area of this patch, but which made life a lot easier and
didn't seem
>to cause any problems - if any weird bugs develop they're trivial to
change back
>(though will maybe cause some ugliness in list code).

Ok, I have finally had a chance to look at the list patch. Thanks again
for resending that. I am really excited about having lists show up in
AbiWord! I know Paul has some comments about general design issues of
auto-generated lists and how they tie into fields, so keep your eyes open
for that.

As you read the upcoming comments, keep thinking, "wow, that guy is good".
Seriously, I have spent lots of time learning how to beat applications into
a bloody pulp. As features go, the quality of the patch is neither
exceptionally good nor exceptionally bad. It has a much bigger scope than
typical patches, though, allowing me plenty of room to stretch my skills.

1. Creating a list always resets fonts size to 10pt.

2. Changing font size within a list hangs AbiWord.

3. When starting a list, the cursor disappears. (This could be a leftover
from Richard Jefts cursor changes, but then again, maybe not)

4. Start a list, create 2 items, then press backspace until the second item
is deleted. Now press undo twice. You now wonder off through about 5
asserts before coming out the other side unscathed.

5. Start a list, and then start another list (so that the first item is
1.1). Now press undo. Nothing happens. (the list should have reset to
1.) Moreover, you can now hit undo twice more for a total of three undos,
even though you should only have had two undo-able actions.

6. On list creation, the indent level is not the same is successive list
items. It seems there ins't a tab inserted, but on the next list item
there is. That should be consistent.

7. Start a list, and hold down return. When you get past 99, you will see
the problem.

8. Create a list with 9 entries. Go back to the middle of the list, and
start inserting new items. The font on newly auto numbered two-digit items
is cut off.

9. Save a list to .abw format. Open it. Insert at a list position and
select Start List. Nothing happens. Had you created the list in the
present session, starting a new list we renumber the item to n.1, but on a
saved .abw document it doesn't.

10. Deletion of an empty list item asserts if the selection region ends
just before the number of the list item following the empty list item.
Again, there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage here, but some piece
of code is complaining.

Again, I would like to stress how impressed I am that you have tackled such
a large endeavor. Let's put together a couple iterations of this code to
get a rock solid list implementation.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist