Re: Translators have a new best friend, Owen Stenseth

Subject: Re: Translators have a new best friend, Owen Stenseth
From: Owen Stenseth (owen@pdamd.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 22:23:58 CST

Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 09:47 PM 3/8/00 -0600, Justin Bradford wrote:
> >I noticed that some fields seemed to repeat the same text several times.
> >For instance, it claimed on of the english labels was :
> >"Paragraph Following Paragraph Following Paragraph Following ..."
> >
> >I'm guessing a little bug with the script, as it happened for a variety of
> >fields.
>
> Nope. Take a look at the preview widget at the bottom of the paragraph
> dialog. When formatting a paragraph with content, that content gets
> displayed in really teeny text. These strings are used as sample text
> content when there isn't any such content to use.
>
> Anyone concerned about string bloat should submit a patch which does the
> repetition in code instead of in the string. ;-)

I was wondering about these myself.

> >Also, en-US is only 65%? Is this because there is an xml file for en-US
> >which people don't keep up to date? Should we be updating that xml file
> >along with the source?
>
> That's a bug in Owen's script (currently at abi/dumpstrings.pl). He should
> be checking both of the strings files, one of which is currently commented
> out. Should be an easy fix.

I noticed this after reading a couple of the README's and seeing some
posts here. I will change it to process both of the files.

> Ditto for missing languages (pt-BR, hu-HU).

Another change I will make is to scan the strings directory so it
automatically picks up new languages.

> However, I'm not sure why the size of the longest string is always 100%,
> though. Someone more fluent in Perl will have to figure that one out.

Hmmm. This was working. The %Longer field is suposed to indicate how
much longer the longest string is compared to English. I am not sure how
useful it is we could just remove it.

--
Owen