Re: Framebuffer version of Abi ?

Subject: Re: Framebuffer version of Abi ?
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 12:50:21 CST

At 01:39 PM 3/9/00 -0800, Tom Ryan wrote:
>FYI. SciTech MGL (http://www.scitechsoft.com/dp_mgl.html) has
>all the features you mentioned above (well, maybe not toolbars)
>and it is very lightweight. SciTech MGL supports Windows, DOS,
>Linux, OS/2 QNX, SMX, RT-Target and others.

Tom,

Thanks for the plug for your toolkit. Are any of your technical folks
interested in this discussion, or is this still a marketing function for
your company?

>We are currently considering either porting wxWindows to run
>natively on top of SciTech MGL, or doing a port of GTK to SciTech
>MGL.

Please do. I'd love to see more toolkit vendors doing work like this, since
it provides an *excellent* proof of how usable the toolkit is in real-world
situations.

Of course, between the two I'd personally have to vote for a GTK port, since
it'd get AbiWord running sooner on your stuff, but that's just me. Do
whatever makes the most sense for you. ;-)

>I said it before and I'll say it again: I wish all the effort spent on
>developing and keeping all the various AbiWord ports up to date
>(more dialog boxes anyone?), was instead spent completing the
>basic feature set that AbiWord needs to become a mainstream
>choice for word processing.

I disagree. The rate of progress of AbiWord development is, pure and
simple, a function of the number of talented developers adding code. Almost
*all* of that work gets done in XP code, and we've found that doing any
platform-specific work is quite easy.

Getting a feature done thoroughly and done right is what takes most of the
time. Once that happens, ports to each platform can happen in a matter of
hours.

>..that's my $0.025

Oh, don't be so modest. That's at *least* a nickel's worth. :-)

Paul