Re: fields design -- a near-trivial question

Subject: Re: fields design -- a near-trivial question
From: Keith Stribley (keith@stribley.dabsol.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 17:55:51 CST

Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> writes:

> If this is going to be visible to the user, DEFINATELY "Real case". It is
> very bad UI to present the user with choices that are not in English, and
> a hybrid of words is not real english. I don't see what some programmers
> have against using English in GUI's. I can't see any reason why the fields
> couldn't be represented internally with spaces, but if there is any good
> reason I'd voulenteer to make name conversion functions :).

I would prefer an internal format of one of 1-5 with a personal preference for 2 or 3, though I'm willing to go with whatever others decide. (Incidentally rtf seems to use all caps with no spaces, - or _). However, I suggest we have a separate name which is presented to the user and is language specific. I'm not very keen on the Word philosophy of showing fields in the document. It would be much more user friendly to just be able to select a field and edit it in a dialog.

Keith

--
Keith Stribley		http://www.stribley.dabsol.co.uk/