Re: Entering Czech Latin2 characters

Subject: Re: Entering Czech Latin2 characters
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 21:22:33 CST

At 06:37 PM 3/16/00 +0200, Vadim Frolov wrote:
>Vadim Frolov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I try to make cyrillic support in AW and this is my "IMHOs":
>> 1. IMHO, we need working with unicode(16 bit, not UTF8) from getting
keyboard
>> key to output to screen.
>> Why? If the difference between target alphabet and Latin is not big,
2-4 chars
>> ( such as europe alphabets), the way of Miksa is good. But russian
alphabet,
>> ukrainian alphabet has 32 - 35 _NON-latin_ letters and charsets for this
>> languages are platform-dependent.
>> Russian: CP1251 for Win
>> KOI8-R for most Unixes
>> ISO-8859-5 for ISO systems
>> MacCyrillic for Mac
>>
>> Ukrainian: CP1251 for Win
>> KOI8-U for most Unixes
>> ISO-8859-5 for ISO
>> MacUkrainian for Mac
>>
>> I don't know what's about arabic, korean and so on...
>>
>> WBR,
>> Vadim.
>
>P.S.
>May be I'm wrong or may be I'm not understand something....
>But when I press russian "a" on keyboard, i'v got a 0x06C1 as keyval
(FreeBSD,
>X11R6)
>Unicode for russian "a" - 0x0410
>Under console text editor in unix this char will be 0xC1 (Koi8-R), in
windows -
>0xE0.
>And after it i see only one way to working - convert all chars after
keyboard to
>Unicode, internally working only with Unicode, and covert it to proper
platform
>charset
>when calling "drawchars" function.

Yes, this sounds like *exactly* what we should be doing.

IIRC, Henrik started doing the first part of this work (detecting and
converting charsets of inbound keyboard entries) in the Win32-specific
keyboard code, and similar work will need to be done for the other
platforms.

AFAIK, nobody has done the equivalent charset mapping at draw time, so that
still needs to be done as well.

If you don't feel comfortable starting these changes on your own, I believe
Henrik is due back any day now, and he could probably give you some
pointers.

Paul

(charset conversion of inbound keyboard events) in the Win32-specific

This will likely require a few changes to the platform