Re: previews for embedded objects

Subject: Re: previews for embedded objects
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 21:57:39 CST

At 09:37 PM 3/16/00 -0600, sam th wrote:
>Well, I've looked at some code that uses expat, and it appears that
>regardless, expat passes element names as (namespace URI)(seperator)(name)
>all concatented, regardless of whether we use default namespaces or not.

Cool.

>AFAIK, non-default namespaces are usually used where the writer is
>switching between them a lot (as in XSLT/XSL formatting).

Fine. That doesn't apply to us.

>However, if you are _very_ anti-verbosity, we could simply dispense with
>the namespaces altogether and just invoke the svg stuff on an <svg>
>element. However, this would be VERY bad XML, since <svg> is not part of
>the abiword DTD and is not defined by us. I would admit to being upset if
>we took this route.

Oh no no no, I'm not *that* rabid. Explicitly specifying the appropriate
default namespace on the svg and math tags would be a very Good Thing, and
we should definitely do so.

I just want to avoid prefacing every svg tag with an explicitly-qualified
namespace when there's no need for it.

>Sam,
>apparently the XML partisan
>(if you want the title, take it :)

OK, it sounds like Sam and I are in total consensus. Is anyone else more
hardcore about their XML purity than Sam, or are we done?

Paul