Re: Dog Food.

Subject: Re: Dog Food.
From: Oliver Doepner (oldo@CoLi.Uni-SB.DE)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 06:44:50 CST

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> I've just used abiword to write my annual report. I found my patches to
> be extremely helpful.
> I used the "Insert Symbol" dialog to put in all the strange symbols
> Physicists use to describe sub-atomic particles. In addition I used it
> to insert the funny European characters that make up the names of some
> of my European collegues and to insert bullets (from the "Standard
> Symbols" font) into hand made lists.

Hi,
I just wanted to know whether these patches would fit into the utf8
encoding concept. I use utf8 to work with many symbols you mentioned
(That could be basically everything that's available in UTF8-unicode and
 is included in the selected TTF-font. I currently use the "Lucida Sans
 Unicode" font but would be happier with the Cyberbit Bitstream TTF that
 is also installed on the winnt that I have to use.)
(I haven't installed the linux version of AbiWord on my Suse 6.3 yet.)

Do the scientific symbols match with symbols in unicode 3.0 ?? Then there
should be a proper mapping between utf8 and the other encodings.

> The new underline code made overlining subscripted text come out right and
> the bug fixes to the font changing code limited my invocation of strong
> language.

You might want to take a look at "Unicode Normalization Forms"
(Unicode Technical Report #15) at:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr15/tr15-18.html

I would highly appreciate your comments. :-)

best regards ;-)
Oliver

PostScriptum:

Is there anybody else who uses AbiWord and Yudit (great GPLed Unicode
Editor by Gaspar Sinai <gsinai@blue-edge-tech.com> with TTF-support on
unix platforms).
I hope standardized behavior of AbiWord towards utf8 will be kept on the
satisfying level as it is now ...
Do you know how to add a font (Cyberbit Bitstream, TTF) to AbiWord ??