RE: Feature matrix update from Pierre Abbat

Subject: RE: Feature matrix update from Pierre Abbat
From: Robert Sievers (bob@abisource.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 10:31:37 CST

At 02:09 PM 3/30/00 +0200, Henrik Berg wrote:
>> There is an updated copy of the AbiWord feature matrix available at
>> http://www.abisource.com/feature_matrix.html
>
>Good thinking with a table for character sets. One thing that I think of
is that if it works or not is very platform dependent. We need a table with
"platforms vs charsets".

That might go here: http://www.abisource.com/ui_matrix.html I will check
into this.

>Another is that you can IMHO compress 8bit charsets to this list:
>
>Latin-1
>8bit other than Latin-1 (insted of Latin Extended, Greek, Cyrillic)
>8bit right to left (insted of Hebrew, Arabic)

I want to wait in case someone has a second opinion on this. I have a very
limited understanding of how non-Latin-1 character sets interact with the
rest of the application. If nobody else objects, I will make this change.

>To help with filling in. Since input and view works on Win32, I would say
that view, keybord and AbiWord i/e works for Latin-1, Latin Extended,
Greek, Cyrillic in the XP code.

Fixed and updated. Also, I am really tempted to mark everything from
Hebrew to Hengul as dark green (for post 1.0). Not to say if someone is
working on this that it wouldn't get incorporated. The idea of the feature
matrix, however, is to allow everyone to focus on what is left to do for
version 1.0.

>The columns dialog and toolbar? What do that say? Do we need a collumn
named spellcheck? Ispell is very hard to get to work for larger than 8-bit.

Both dialog and toolbar might be n/a. There hasn't been any discussion
about having the ability to choose various character sets from the either a
dialog or from the toolbar. This is different than Martin's insert symbol
patch, which would allow one character to be added at a time. Those two
columns you refer to relate to options, either via dialog or toolbar, to
completely change the character set being input. So far, nobody has
suggested these particular items are needed or wanted. As for spell check,
I think that is a totally separate issue that we should just track in
bugzilla.

I'll wait a few days to see what people think, and update the
feature_matrix accordingly.

Robert Sievers
Open Source Evangelist