Re: Tables in Abisword

Subject: Re: Tables in Abisword
From: Daniel Roberts (zuperdee@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 11:45:12 CDT

Hope you don't mind me CC'ing my reply to your message
to the mailing list as well--I think that is a VERY
interesting (not to mention INNOVATIVE) feature
request you have--the idea of posting Gnumeric cells
as a table into AbiWord, that is. I wanted everyone
to hear about that innovative idea. :-)

For the purposes of that request however, we need to
know (or maybe even define) just what the relationship
IS between Gnumeric and AbiWord... I know AbiWord has
GNOME support, so could this be done in that context
somehow?

Anyhow, I do agree with all who have replied to me
that it probably is better to start with simpler
things, and since I am a beginner, I do intend to do
that. I *DO* want to contribute table support to
AbiWord... The problem with statistics has inspired
me. :-) However, I cannot promise that I will be
able to accomplish it anytime soon, especially since I
don't even really know what is involved yet--I am just
trying to figure that out right now. :-( But don't
lose hope--figuring out what it will take is merely
the first step. If it were the last step, that would
indicate that I was so discouraged I would give up. I
CAN'T do that now, however. But it WILL take a long
time, I'm sure. Nevertheless, I do welcome any
help/suggestions/pointers people are willing to give
me.

--- Christian Schaller <Uraeus@linuxrising.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I saw your mail in the Abiword mail archive about
> wanting to implement
> tables in Abiword. I hope you go through with your
> plan since I
> personally have been waiting for that feature for a
> long time.
>
> I have though a little feature request and that is
> that you design the
> tables in such a way that allows you to cut'n and
> paste a range of
> Gnumeric cells right into the table, with one cell
> in gnumeric ending up
> in one cell in the Abiword table. This is not
> possible under word\excel
> (at least not the versions I tried) and something
> that irritates me a
> lot.
>
> Anyways happy hacking :)
>
> Christian Schaller

=====
Is your JavaScript ready for Nav5 and IE5?
Get the latest JavaScript client sniffer at
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/examples/javascript/browser_type.html

Sincerely,
Daniel
e-mail: zuperdee@penguinpowered.com