Re: Newbie Help / Collapsible Outline Status Report

Subject: Re: Newbie Help / Collapsible Outline Status Report
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 09:32:27 CDT

Randy Kramer wrote:

> Currently, I'm trying to build AbiWord under Windows 95 and VC++ 5. I
> am struggling with Make and Bash. I am reading the GNU manual for
> make.

I might have an easier solution. I've created VC (6 sp3 that is, but I
think the formats are about the same for VC5) project workspace and
project files. If your interested, mail me.

> --UNLESS--
> I'm making a mistake by even attempting to build and develop under
> Window 95 and VC++?

People could argue about this, but if it works for you and you get it
working and can contribute from that environment, I can't see what's
wrong with it from AbiWords point-of-view. :-)

No, seriously, that compiler handles everything we do and it has one of
the (IMHO) best IDEs on the planet.

Regarding 'patch' I'd first go for a recent version of WinCVS. It takes
care of the CR/LF<->LF conversions and isn't *that* bad. If a
command-line 'patch' proves needed, I could probably provide a Win32
binary/port (if noone points to one already ported) from the GNU tollkit
and have Sam put it up. Sam loves to put up useful stuff on the site.
;-)

/Mike