Re: XIM, bug #435

Subject: Re: XIM, bug #435
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 21:40:27 CDT

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE commit hj's patch (the one you pointed out to me). It
actually fixes #435, which is an EVIL EVIL EVIL bug. Sorry for being so
loud but I'm really EXCITED! It still applies to CVS. I haven't tried the
equivilent patch to the gnome code but Joaquin says it will be commited
once this is commited.

The funny thing is that I was on vacation when this was first posted, and
leaving for that vacation had torn me away from working on a fix for this
same bug.

The one concern I have is that this implements it in XAP code. I'm not
sure if this is the right place. Do we want abi-based apps to recieve
keypresses already composed, as this patch would make them, or should the
apps implement it themselves for flexibility? This is not a show-stopper,
though - after the patch is commited we can think through issues like
this. I'm just eager to get it into the tree.

hj, thank you for writing this!!! Thanks, Martin, for your informative
reply to my message.

Aaron Lehmann
(proud to have helped fix a bug with a huge contributer list:
- Fredrik Liljegren for reporting the bug
- Aaron Lehmann for confusing himself with the bug, recognizing that it's
not font-related
- Paul Rohr for sugesting a focus model be created to fix the bug
- hj for writing a patch to support XIM
- Owen Taylor for immediately recognizing the situation as an XIM issue
- Martin Sevior for finally commiting hj's fix (i hope =D))