Re: request for help from CJK hackers

Subject: Re: request for help from CJK hackers
From: Belcon Zhao (belcon@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 03:22:51 CST

Hello:

>Belcon Zhao ¼g¹D¡G
> > >automatically?Just
> > >
> > > Hmm, I don't understand you - what do you mean by "install
> > >automatically"?
>
>Hello, Belcon,
>I don't think it's a good idea to add that functionality to AW,
>since AW did NOT handle truetype font directly.

Yes,I know.So,whether install TTF to AW or not is up to user.
If they want and their X server support,they can do.Otherwise,
they can leave it away.

>It's the ability of X server or font server to handle truetype font.
>(In XFree86 3.x, there is no ttf support, thus we have to patch
>X server to support ttf, that's what CLE or other version of
>"Chinese Linux" have done. For XFree86 4.0, there are already
>two backends ttf support: xtt and freetype)
>I think we should just leave the responsibility of installation
>of ttf to X.

Installing TTF to AW just generate some fonts.dir,I mean.It is
easy,IMHO.

>Of course, It may be convenient for AW to automatilly generate
>hj format of fonts.dir from the currently installed ttf in X.

Yes,this is what I mean.

>However, since there is no direct connection between
>XLFD and PostScript font names, it may not feasible currently.

So,in the widegt,we need user to tell AW where is the PostScript's
Fontmap file and where is the TTF file.

>(In fact, if we can generate hj fonts.dir on fly,
>we don't need that file again! Did you agree?)

Yes,we can't generate fonts.dir on fly,so we need user to answer
some question.:-)

> > > I assume you propose to ship subdirectories with CJK fonts.dir with
>AW -
> > >right? If everything that is required for Chinese (and probably
> > >all CJK fonts) is subdirectory with fonts.dir in it, these directories
> > >could
> > >be added to AW distribution. So I agree with this.
>
>I think it's an appropriate way.
>I attach the fonts.dir I used now,
>for both zh_TW.Big5 & zh_CN.GB2312.
>Of course, it should works only in CLE.
>Other "Chinese Linux" use different XLFD font names.
>
> > No,I don't mean this.The reason is above.
> >
> > > Then prepare fonts.dir for GB2312 and Big5 you think should be in AW
> > >distribution and post a patch that will add them (or better - discuss
> > >directory name with me and then post a patch).
> > > I will post a proposal for including CJK fonts.dir with AW later
>today to
> > >the
> > >list explicitly.
> > >

>--