Re: WordCount dialog

Subject: Re: WordCount dialog
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 18:50:19 CST

Martin Sevior wrote [about hardcoded dialog caption limit]:
> It looked good on my window manager that way. In fact
> different setting on even the same X window manager will give differing
> amounts of space to the headings so even a pure virtual class is not
> enough.

Wouldn't that suggest it should be a pure virtual "callback" to get the
amount of space (in chars) available for that particular
titlebar/heading/caption? Speaking C++ that would be a "private pure
virtual".
 I think it's the concrete dialog class' responsibility to tell what its
size would be, and therefore it could also say "I can hold at most 'n' chars
in my titlebar" even if it possibly could hold "n+3" chars. It's still the
responsibility of the concrete dialog class I think.

The opposite could also be the right thing to do, telling that private
virtual function what string we want to use and letting that one truncate to
its needs,

> These headings are in all the modeless dialogs. Maybe we should dispense
> with the prepended path name in the title of document. This is a better
> lowest-common denominator solution.

After thinking about this for a while, I think we should just truncate the
document name. I.e. a dialog stating "I can only handle 'n' chars) should
display its caption/title as

"Foo Dialog - Docum..."

(I think the ellipsis replacing "..." part is crucial).

What do you think?

/Mike