Re: Commit: const_casts needed to get RH7 to compile

Subject: Re: Commit: const_casts needed to get RH7 to compile
From: Jesper Skov (jskov@redhat.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 10:41:30 CST

Mike> Sam about iconv and const:
>> Iconv actually configures that paramater via a configure.in test.

Mike> Now, I might be *way* off, but is there really a compiler in use
Mike> today that don't honor (or even _understand_) the "const"
Mike> keyword?

It's not an issue of support for the const keyword (which I'm sure all
compilers do).

The problem at hand is that glibc-2.2 (and thus RH7) iconv takes
non-const arguments [which doesn't make sense to me, btw, but I'm not
glibc hacker] and GCC correctly bails out with a compile
error. Disregarding the const'ness of a string is bad, for obvious
reasons.

FWIW I opened a Bug on RH7 on this issue since the man page sez the
argument should be const. But apparently the man page was wrong.

Jesper