Re: MSWord DOC

Subject: Re: MSWord DOC
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 13:53:48 CST

> > It's not AW bug IMO but wv importer's one. Word2k (and Word97) have
> > completely different format from Word6.0 (aka word95) in which wordpad
>save.
> > AW uses wv for reading .doc files. There are a lot of converters (from
>.doc
> > to .html, .latex, .rtf) shipped with wv (e.g. wvLatex). Could you try
>them
> > with this file and say whether they understand chinese content properly?

wv has lots of converters. Please try one of them, possibly even wvAbw
(word->AbiWord) and get back to me with the result. Word version 6.0 isn't
really handled by wv yet(ever?). It's not really a priority of mine. But
patches are always welcome.

> > If yes, then there is a big chance that language
> > code is not saved properly in word6.0 format (or there is a "CJK flag"
>for
> > example). So, if these chars are really big5 codes, I think we have the
There is a flag- fib.farEast or something like that. It says whether the
document was encoded in a Southeast Asian locale(China, Korea, etc...).
Maybe this is what you are looking for?

> > 2) add support to CJK to wv. Dom Lachowich on the AW mailing list is
>current
> > maintainer of wv, so feel free to talk with him (or to debug wv and send
>him
> > patches).
> > The 2nd one is much more preferable :)
Most certainly #2 is preferable.