Re: Segfault opening footer.abw

Subject: Re: Segfault opening footer.abw
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 06:12:05 CST

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:

> Culprit found. The breakage appeared, AFAICT, after Martin's checkin
> on the 27th of October. This was a fix for missing last lines in
> Word documents. Sadly, the patch he applied will not reverse currently.
> So we have to figure out why it broke footer import.
>
> The email he sent was:

<Sigh> that was more a work around than fix. It works well too. I'd be
loath to take that code out now since a large class of Word documents now
load correctly as do multi-level lists. Since footers are not yet enabled
I suggest we leave this code in for 0.7.12 and fix it properly for the
next release which should have headers/footers enabled. I must admit I
didn't think to check headers/footers and I can well imagine that the code
would break them. Basically I check to see if a current or previous block
has a valid m_pLastLine. If not I do a pBlock->format() on it. This is
just plastering over a problem though. Every block should have a valid
m_pFirstLine and m_pLastLine including header/footer blocks.

This was bugger to track down and I gave up after the pBlock->format()
worked-around the problem.

Of course I'd love to see a proper fix which is that after importing every
block should ALWAYS have a valid m_pFirstLine and m_pLastLine.

Martin