Re: leaking iconv handles, wv return type

Subject: Re: leaking iconv handles, wv return type
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 02:59:24 CST

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:

 Hi,

> > > XAP_EncodingManager is assumed to be created no more than 3 times. So I
> > > didn't care about leaking iconv descriptors - they don't take a lot of
> > memory
> > > (no more than 100bytes each). I don't recommend spending time on bothering
> > > close those descriptors.
>
> This attitude is *not* ok. Just because it is only some memory, leaking
> it is still *totally* unacceptable as a policy. I hope you can provide
> the proper fix for this.

 The only disadvantage of this attitude is that Purify will probably bark on
leaking memory. The advantage: we won't have to bother updating deinitialize()
each time we add some new allocation to initialize() (saving developer's
time), and also we don't loose CPU cycles in free().

 Sorry, I won't spend my time writing deinitilize() since I see no real
advantages in having it. I would better spend time fixing real bugs in AW or
in other free software.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad