Re: Segfault: ?

Subject: Re: Segfault: ?
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 05:30:39 CST

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Sam TH wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:30:33PM +0400, Vlad Harchev wrote:

> > > I'm going to try to find the source package for this, and see what
> > > is causing that problem.
> >
> > I think that even finding out what's wrong and with what won't help us to
> > solve this problem (unless we require MDK users to upgrade their glibc, if
> > there are updates for it). This problem should be fixed internally to AW IMO.
>
> Well, the original libpng bug, back about 6 months ago, required looking
> in the library to find the problem, but the problem was our fault.

 Current case is completely different IMO. iconv(handle,0,0,0,0) is a valid
use for any valid handle - that's stated in manuals. It's impossible that AW
is guilty, glibc from MDK is.

> > > But I would still accept a patch for this.
> > >
> > Anyways, I can start composing such patch only after you put nightly snapshot
> > (or I will make a patch against yesterday version).
>
> It should be up in about 5 minutes. You really ought to get CVS. It's
> lots faster.

 Of course CVS is the right thing, but I don't know how it performs on
connections that break often. So it's safer for me to use patches from your
page.

> > Could anybody please mail me trace log (that AW writes to stdout) of a
> > session with smartquotes enabled, in which "Abccd" <CR> (with quotes) is typed
> > - so I will be able to see what AW with working smartquotes should put in debug
> > log and how it behaves.
>
> I tested it, and got identical results to yours. Of course, I still get
> ? instead of smart quotes, but I don't think the two issues are related.

 Very very strange.
 My AW is linked with libiconv, and yours? I think this can be the only reason
 for differences in behaviour.

 I will look again into the code and force linking with glibc's iconv after I
downloaded nightly diffs.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad