Re: Win32 build error - help

Subject: Re: Win32 build error - help
From: Mike Nordell (tamlin@algonet.se)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 20:18:21 CST

Sam TH wrote:
>It is complaining that xap_EncondingManager.h can't
>include iconv.h. However, before the change that broke
>the build, xap_EncodingManager.cpp was including iconv.h
>just fine.

It's gr_Graphics.cpp that is being compiled, and it's that librarys include
path that's used. The fix would be to add the iconv dir to the makefile for
gr_Graphics.cpp.

This brings me to another matter, decoupling. And, as a matter of fact,
intefaces.

Is there really a _need_ to expose iconv dependencies to clients of
xap_EncodingManager? The _only_ reason iconv.h is included in
xap_EncodingManager.h is to get to the type iconv_t to be able to use it in
the argument list for UT_iconv_reset.

But why would we want to display to the whole world that xap_EncodingManager
depends on iconv?

A couple of observations:
The implementation tells me it's wasteful to have this as a member function.
If at all, it should be a static member function.
If this function is only to be used internally by xap_EncodingManager, I'd
suggest to remove this function from the class and put it as a free function
(possibly with static linkage) inside xap_EncodingManager.cpp and remove
that iconv.h dependency from xap_EncodingManager.h again.

/Mike - please don't cc