Binding prefix keybindings to sets of characters?

Subject: Binding prefix keybindings to sets of characters?
From: Daniel Lenski (drl22@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2000 - 17:06:04 CST

Hi,

As I wrote yesterday, I'm attempting to add support for the handy
Ctrl-['`:&^,] accent mark keybindings found in MS word. After getting a
hang of the AbiWord programming model (which is surprisingly readable
IMO!), I think I need to use non-nvk prefix keys, like the Ctrl-x prefix
used in ap_LB_Emacs.cpp.

So now here's what I don't understand: how does AbiWord make the
association between the prefix keys and the keys that can follow them?
It seems that ap_LB_Emacs.cpp loads the prefix key table, and then
ap_LB_EmacsCtrlX.cpp loads a table of non-prefixed character keys ... but
how does the program know that these keybindings are only active following
the prefix codes? I thought the link might be in ap_LoadBindings.cpp, but
it isn't apparently.

Basically, I just don't understand how to associate a set of prefix codes
with the keys that can follow them.

--
Daniel Lenski
moxfyre@geocities.com

"If we couldn't laugh at things that didn't make sense, we couldn't react to a lot of the world around us." --Calvin and Hobbes