Re: Yet another Fields update.

Subject: Re: Yet another Fields update.
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 06:52:27 CDT

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, sam th wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> > HI everyone,
> > I'm getting very close to finishing fields without
> > implementing Paul Rohrs' Chunks design. My last task is to satisfy myself
> > that new multi-line PieceTable Lists can be constructed easily. To this
> > end I will try to implement a pseudo Table of Contents as a PieceTable
> > Field.
>
> One suggestion - since we are changing the file format, we should probably
> version the file format. There is the drawback that we haven't done so
> already, so the case where there is no version will be tricky. However,
> at the end of the day, it would be nice to have a line like this:
>
> make ABI_OPT_COMPAT_OLD=1

I don't think this will be neccessary. The new fields implementation is
is Keith's patch with a number of bug fixes and rough edges knocked off.
The file format does not change at all. We we will have two types of
fields now. Our current inline fields like page numbers, time, list labels
and the new system which generates a field Object fragment in the piece
table. This fragment can then be populated with text, tabs and images
using insertSpan. These spans are labelled with a m_pField pointer in the
formatter which in turn treats the the generated runs specially. So for
example the caret cannot enter a m_pField labelled textRun nor can these
text runs be coalesed with other text runs. On the other hand normal text
formatting like underline, sub/super script and line breaking within the
field works fine.

A field is <field type="blah" format="blah" /field> as before. The format
is optional.

Paul's Chunk's may change the file format but I would like him to explain
how.

On the other hand the new lists implementation expands the file format
since the list attributes are written out at the head of any AbiWord
document containing a list.

Martin