Re: commit: i18n megapatch to AW

Subject: Re: commit: i18n megapatch to AW
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 04:50:18 CDT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, sam th wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:
>

> > Commit:
> >
> > Vlad's Russian megapatch along with Tom Brigg's fixes to enable the code
> > to compile in Windows and merges by me to get things up to date.
> >
> > This is an incrediable amount of work which finally allows the Unix
> > version of abiword to use non-latin fonts. Hopefully we'll rapidly see
> > Chinese, Japanese and Korean versions of Abiword and we can make use of
> > our 16 bit internal representation of all text strings.
>
> I just tested it out with the .ru fonts provided by Vlad. It looks
> *great*. To give this patch the highest available compliment, it Just
> Works. Russian Church Secretarys, look out. :-)

 :)

 As for russian fonts - the practice showed that for non-latin1 fonts xlfds in
fonts.dir should have "adobe-fontspecific" registry-encoding (rather than
real encoding like "koi8-r", otherwise recent XFree86 X servers (e.g. 3.3.6)
won't show any non-latin1 letter. So, I have to update that fonts package.

> > THINGS TO FIX. The columns dialog now looks weird in gtk because of the
> > removal of the gtk_set_usize to the drawing area. I'll test the other
> > dialogs too.
>
> Yes, that does look a little strange. Is there any reason that box can't
> be a fixed size (it never has text in it)?

 No, I removed set_usize on drawing area by mistake. Sorry. As for non-drawing
areas (e.g. buttons, labels) - they obviously shouldn't have fixed size in
order them to look consistent with different font sizes and in different
languages.

> Just one comment - the ru-RU strings file, which you provided but has not
> yet been committed, doesn't work. This is because expat doesn't like
> files to be encoded in KOI8. Basically, expat only likes UTF-8. Is there
> any way that this could be converted so that we can finish off Russian
> support?

 This should work (at least it works for me and with original patch). I'm
setting custom encoding handler for expat (using
XML_SetUnknownEncodingHandler) in each place where xml file is parsed - that
will make expact understanding any encoding that is known to iconv().
 So, if expat barks at ru-RU.strings, then your iconv doesn't know KOI8-R
encoding (then you shouldn't see russian text file correctly :).
 To test whether it has, run
        iconv -f KOI8-R -t UCS2
 If it doesn't barf, then expact shouldn't barf :)
 Also, what unix do you use?

 I'm waiting for daily snapshot (with i18n patch integrated) to appear on
your site to test.

> Thanks
>
> sam th
> sam@uchicago.edu