ideas of import/export of Word documents

Subject: ideas of import/export of Word documents
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 08:44:02 CDT

 I think we should do the following cheap tricks that will make AW much more
advanced (sorry, I don't have time to code them up, but the tricks are really
cheap).

1) It seems that rtf files under .doc extension can be opened fine by word.
So for now, until Word exporter is not ready, we can output file in rtf format
under ".doc" extension (this way, some people will think that AW really can
export to word format). I think this is important since not every lame word
user knows about existance of "rtf" format and the extension associated with
it - so she will have troubles trying to export to "word" from AW. Adding
"Microsoft Word Document, .doc" to the list of exported formats will raise AW
dramatically in her eyes IMO.

2) Word under some conditions also outputs file in rtf format but with .doc
extension (as I remember, Word2k does this, when asked to save in Word95
format). So, we can be nice when importing .doc formats even now - we should
check that first 4 letters of the file are not "\rtf" and if they are, invoke
rtf importer, otherwise say "word format importer not fully implemented yet".

 So, what do you think about these ideas?

 Best regards,
  -Vlad