Re: The next release?

Subject: Re: The next release?
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 11:27:35 CDT

sam th said:
> > > Import in WML also.
> > > Also HTML import.
> >
> > Wow. These are both really useful. How complex can our html be? Can we
> > import abi exported html without loss of information?
>
>Our XHTML importer does not do that much. Major weaknesses:
>
>No table, frame, etc. (of course)
>
>Our CSS import functionality is a hack to allow us to read the CSS we
> export. (Sorry Dom)

Yeah, it has to be XHTML for us to import it. Other than tables,frames and
links, it supports *almost all* of the HTML formatting tags, including
properly handling <font> (i.e. we can import a lot more tags than we
currently export, but sam's exporter chose to use CSS inside of <span> tags
to make his life easier and i don't blame him). Of course we don't handle
CSS or ECMAScript, but that's unavoidable. And yes, we import abi-exported
XHTML without losing any formatting information.

WML import/export handles every WML 1.1 textual markup tag and gracefully
ignores the rest. This is useful for viewing say, MSWord documents on
Web-phones, Palm/Handsprings, and WinCE.

Docbook import is by no means perfect, but we import what we export just
fine.

Dom