Re: Update to documentation

Subject: Re: Update to documentation
From: Karl Ove Hufthammer (huftis@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 16:41:11 CDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "sam th" <sam@uchicago.edu>
To: "Karl Ove Hufthammer" <huftis@bigfoot.com>
Cc: "Abiword Developer List" <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 10:43 PM

> > We will use XML --> XSLT (not FO) --> LaTeX --> PDF.
> >
> > I don't know much about XSL-FO, and this seems much simpler and easier.
>
> First question - how do you do the transform from XML to LaTeX with
> XSL/T? I didn't know of any such stylesheets.

Custom written XSLT style sheet. It's actually not that hard (and I'm no XSLT
expert!).

> Second, the crash course in XSL-FO (not that I actually know anything
> about them):

XSL-FO is more powerful, but way more difficult (I've been told). I think you
even have to specifiy page breaks manually (calculate where they should be).

> That was a little longer than I planned, but I hope it helps. And I do
> plan to add XSL-FO export to AbiWord some day.

Wow! That sounds great. AbiWord will have many very *useful* import and export
filters. BTW, what happened to the 'Write PostScript' feature?

--#
Karl Ove Hufthammer