Re: May I take part in AbiWord CJKV develope? (fwd)

Subject: Re: May I take part in AbiWord CJKV develope? (fwd)
From: Chih-Wei Huang (cwhuang@linux.org.tw)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 08:28:06 CDT

Vlad Harchev ¼g¹D¡G

> > Nice to hear that. As I understand, there exist some patches to AW
to make it
> > partially support CJKV?
> > As for reason of not showing GB2312 - non-patched AW works this
way, not GTK
> > :(

gtk+ 1.2.x should work well for CJK,
provided you have install the appropriate locale data.
unless your gtkrc.xxx (xxx is your locale name)
didn't setup correctly.

> A developt of Taiwan CLE group has made a patch support GB2312 and
> Big5.But
> there is very big problem just like what I said above.I don't know
why
> AbiWord
> can't show GB2312(but it can print GB2312 properly) while Big5 is
fine
> after
> patched.

The patch CLE used is exactly HJ's patch.
Interestingly, it SHOULD support GB2312, but it didn't.
I don't what's wrong, and that's why Belcon worked on it...:)

> > Yes, it's very small. Thanks for it.
> > You told about GB2312 version of MSWord - are there other versions
of 2MSWord
> > that support other CJKV encodings? If yes, can they read correctly
files
> As I know,yes.

For people in Taiwan, we use traditional Chinese version of
MSWord(support big5). I'm not sure if there is a version of MSWord
that support all CJKV. I'm not familiar with MS platiform, sorry!

document in PS

GS 5.x and above support CID-Keyed CJKV fonts.
GS also support truetype fonts, but not well for CJKV.
However, there is patch for gs 6.01 to use CJK ttf as CID-Keyed fonts,
as Belcon mentioned, http://www.aihara.co.jp/~taiji/tops/
Another way to use ttf with gs is using through VFlib.
http://TypeHack.aial.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/VFlib/

I'll send you ps files that generated by Chinese version of abiword.
It can be viewed via gs 6.01+gs_ttf.ps patch or gs 5.x+VFlib patch.

Sure. There are several TeX/LaTeX system that support CJK.
One is just called 'CJK', written by Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org>.
ftp://cle.linux.org.tw/pub/CLE/i386/RedHat/RPMS/CJK-4.2.0-9.i386.rpm
The alternatives are ChiTeX, cwTeX.
All of them support Chinese truetype fonts.

> > It's typesetting system used by scientists (source file extensions
are .tex,
> > .latex, and output format is .dvi, that is converted to .ps using
'dvips'
> > utility). Chances are very low that it supports CJKV..

LaTeX is also popular in Taiwan for scientists.
In fact, I use LaTeX(ChiTeX) to write my master thesis
(in Chinese, of course...:)

--
   ~     Chih-Wei Huang (cwhuang)
  'v'    E-Mail       : cwhuang@linux.org.tw