Re: Compile error building CJK patch.

Subject: Re: Compile error building CJK patch.
From: Chih-Wei Huang (cwhuang@linux.org.tw)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 02:46:37 CST

Martin Sevior ¼g¹D¡G

Hello, I'm sorry I am too busy to do any real help.
I hope I can have time to test the patch tomorrow.

> BTW do the CKJ fonts come in rpm form suitable for RH 6.2? Am I lucky
> enough to find them in a stock RH 6.2 distribution? If not where can
> I find them?

You man find taipeifonts for traditional Chinese from CLE at
ftp://cle.linux.org.tw/pub/CLE/stable/v0.9p1/i386/RedHat/RPMS/taipeifonts-1.2-14.noarch.rpm

BTW, you still need Chinese locales:
ftp://cle.linux.org.tw/pub/CLE/stable/v0.9p1/i386/RedHat/RPMS/locale-zh-0.9-3.i386.rpm

If you need an whole Chinese environment to test,
or you find it's too slow to download anything from our site,
I can send you the CLE CDROM for testing.
I just release CLE v0.9p1 this morning.
Please give me your address if you need the CDROM.

What is CLE ?

    CLE stands for Chinese GNU/Linux Extensions, it is a collection of
Chinese related softwares on GNU/Linux platform. CLE is based on and
optimized for Red Hat Linux distribution. As with Red Hat, softwares are
packaged in rpm format. Porting CLE to other distributions(like Debian)
is currently under development.
    It was June, 1998 that CLE, as a concept, started to emerge. The
name was suggested by cdchen. Initially, I just put some Chinese related
softwares together with patch files, and built some rpm files. It was to
make it easier for me to install on the workstations around me.
Gradually, the number of rpm files that I had built became more and
more, and I realized that with rpm I can integrate all these Chinese
related softwares and build an installation package.
    The time spent repetitively on configuring individual software
package could be saved. After some brain stormings with cdchen through
email, I decided to put things together. On June 20, 1998 I made the
announcement about CLE v0.3. That was how it all started.

Why CLE ¡H

    "First, after you completed the installation of a GNU/Linux
distribution, you fetch the Chinese Font, xcin, chdrv, etc. through FTP,
then you apply the patches to the kernel, to the XFree86, etc., then
...." These are the typical experiences for seasoned Chinese GNU/Linux
users. In the past, using Chinese in GNU/Linux has never been an easy
task. To a new user, compiling xcin, XFree86, etc. can be quite
complicated. It is not unusal got stuck half way during installation.
Not even a chance to have Chinese input working! More importantly, you
will need to repeat all these efforts again when you reinstall or have
your machines updated. Is there a way that when you install the
GNU/Linux, at the same time you can configure the Chinese environment,
set everything up, and ready to go? Without those steps that deals with
FTP, compilation, and individual configuration?

    CLE is created exactly for this purpose--to help Chinese GNU/Linux
users install a state of the art Chinese environment easily. Upon
finishing installing the GNU/Linux, user should have a complete working
Chinese environment. It saves time for installation, configuration, and
complicated procedures. User can spend the saved time for more
productive task. For the new users, CLE will let you have a working
Chinese environment instantly, get your hands-on quickly, familiar
yourself with GNU/Linux faster.

    Besides, we hope the CLE would be the foundation for the future
Chinese GNU/Linux distribution, and to make GNU/Linux more popular in
Chinese computing environment.

--
   ~     Chih-Wei Huang (cwhuang)
  'v'    E-Mail       : cwhuang@linux.org.tw