Re: GNOME Office and OpenOffice (fwd)

Subject: Re: GNOME Office and OpenOffice (fwd)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 21:07:40 CST

On 29 Oct 2000, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Martin Sevior <msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au> writes:
> > Frankly I think Koffice is better place to steal code for Abi than
> > StarOffice. At least I know which part if the Word Processor. Of course
> > Kword is only useful to people with KDE 2.0 installed. Our potential
> > market is 100 times bigger :-)
> >

> Be careful with licenses; I think KOffice is Artistic not GPL?
> Anyway, just be sure you check the license, and keep the original
> author's name on the thing. We've had a few flamefests from this sort
> of issue...

We would certainly leave a previous GPL copyright in place. I don't know
what the Artistic License is or allows (excpet that Perl uses it.) I do
know that the KWord MS Word importer is based on the fanatisic GPL'd wv
program written by Coalan McNamarra (who now works for Sun in Star
division). wv is now maintained by Dom. So this is all intertwined...

Given that they've incorporated GPL'd code into Kword I thought that Kword
was GPL'd too.

Cheers

Martin