Re: What a wast of time!

Subject: Re: What a wast of time!
From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 03:57:27 CDT

If you'd like a suggestion as to another way to approach spellchecking,
take a look at:

http://www.wordservices.org

While the Word Services suite is presently implemented only on MacOS and
BeOS, there's no reason it couldn't be under XWindows as well, and I've
put some thought into how it might be done.

One possible approach is to use the CORBA API's exposed by Gnome. Gnome
widgets have a certain amount of scriptability built in if they are
built on top of GTK+.

While this comes for free for GTK+, what would be needed for Word
Services wouldn't be at all hard to implement for any other UI
framework. Basically all that is needed is a way to get a range of text
out of a text widget, and a way to replace it.

Word Services builds on top of that to provide a menu for the user to
activate services from, a way to get the menu text strings from the
server application to the client menu, and a way for the client program
to ask the server for service.

A MacOS application that is Apple-Event aware or a BeOS application that
is built on standard Application Kit widgets takes only 1/2-1 day to add
word services starting from my sample code.

I'd be happy to get this working in AbiWord. I initially got interested
in the project after a conversation about Word Services and AbiWord and
the LinuxWorld Expo a while back.

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com
crawford@goingware.com