Re: Abi?

Subject: Re: Abi?
bob@abisource.com
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 15:34:56 CDT

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:02:20PM +0200, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> A thought occured to me. AbiWord is named, well AbiWord, but what does 'Abi'
> mean?
>
> And how was the name decided?

About four or five of us were had an impromptu meeting in someone's office, and the topic of what we were going to name the project came up. We came up with a bunch of names, and the deciding factor turned out to be what we could get domain names for.

Abi is the root of the Spanish word Abierto.

One of the goofier ideas that came out of that meeting was a Factory motif. WordFactory, CalcFactory, DataFactory, comprising the Open Source industrial park. Thank goodness we didn't choose that one!