Re: why you don't provide patches between releases for download?

Subject: Re: why you don't provide patches between releases for download?
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 08:58:51 CDT

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Rui M. Silva wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 05:03:17PM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> > to me) it's impossible to ask cvs for diffs between arbitrary versions of
> > packages without having a tree locally installed ("cvs rdiff -r 0.7.9 -r
> > 0.7.11 abi" requires checked out cvs tree locally). Could you please publish
> > patches between versions too for all components AW uses?
> > -Vlad
> it may be so, but why don't you grab one a painfull download of the tree, the forever more only periodically fetch a cvs update?
>
> seldom has the cvs amounts greater than 100kB to update.
>
> but I agree that having a patch to jump from 0.7.10 to 0.7.11, for example, would be far more interesting than having the cvs tree or downloading the whole stuff, for people with low bandwidth connections.

  Yes, please do provide patches.

> one thing you can do is go to a university, or another institution you have access with good bandwith, carrying a zip drive, or similar. download the cvs tree and take it home in the disk. that way, at home, all you'll need is a simple cvs -z3 update *

 I just downloaded all *.gz files again - my connection breaks very often so
 I don't think I would have been able to checkout abi from less than 10
 attempts (you can't resume cvs checkouts :( ).

 I still hope that you will provide patches - most mature open source projects
provide them.

> regards, rms
>
> --
> + No matter how much you do, you never do enough -- unknown
> + Whatever you do will be insignificant,
> | but it is very important that you do it -- Ghandi
> + So let's do it...?

 Best regards,
  -Vlad