RE: Heads up: The build farm's days are numbered

Subject: RE: Heads up: The build farm's days are numbered
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 17:03:55 CDT

Well, it would certainly be our preference for the project
to just go ahead and move everything to SourceForge. After
all, that's what SourceForge is for -- hosting community
developed Open Source projects.

However, the build farm is the major issue right now. It
doesn't really take much of our time or resources to just
let the Parsons machine sit around and serve the AbiWord
website, CVS, mailing lists, etc. But, the systems
administration and coordination effort for the build farm
is a bit more substantial, especially around tarball time.
It's getting increasingly difficult for us to provide the
help you guys need to crank out tarball binaries. And, it's
going to get more difficult over time. Our staff is getting
busier and busier, and AbiWord is not getting any easier to
build as the code base continues to grow more complex.

As for the trademarks: AbiWord could still be used as the
basis for a nice little startup business. If somebody wanted
to create that business, we would cooperate with them. The
trademarks and domain name are technically assets of SourceGear,
but their value is not the major issue. We would like to see
them in the hands of an organization which can be more
committed to AbiWord development than we can be.

Bottom line: SourceGear is not on the verge of pulling the
plug, but we'd still like to continually be decreasing the
dependence of AbiWord on us.