Re: [RFC] A Proposal for Binary Release Management

Subject: Re: [RFC] A Proposal for Binary Release Management
From: Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 18:16:35 CDT

1. The trademarks should be a non-issue. The stuff in the
tree *does* reflect the fact that we used to have two sets
of marks, one for official builds, and one for everything
else. Thaat distinction existed to support a business
strategy which no longer exists, so we should be able
to simply things a bit.

2. Committee? I prefer the word "meritocracy". You guys
already function this way. There is no such thing as
authority. There is only "influence". You want influence?
Then work on the project. The more you work, the more
influence you end up getting, as a natural consequence.

I already think of Sam and Martin as the project leaders
for AbiWord, based on this very model. Note that this
concept is merely a rough approximation, since there are
others who really work hard on AbiWord as well. No offense
is intended. I'm merely pointing out that Sam and Martin
are two examples of people who have attained greater
influence on the development of AbiWord than I currently
have. They do more for the project than I do.

This aspect of things is not a change from the status quo.
That's the way you guys already do things, as far as I can
tell.