Re: font name: Helvetic vs Helvetica

Subject: Re: font name: Helvetic vs Helvetica
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 16:28:36 CDT

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Martin Sevior wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Among the fonts that included with AW there is "Helvetic". Is there any
> > reason to choose this name instead of "Helvetica"? May be because it's a
> > trademark?
> > Anyway, the fact that this name is not "Helvetica" causes some problems
> > when exporting to RTF. When such file is opened in Wordpad from Win95 OSR2,
> > it really uses font named helvetic, that is not localized (fixing RTF
> > manually to helvetica engages right font and the document is imported without
> > any problems). Word2000 opens that file without any problem though.
> >
> > It's obvious that renaming "helvetic" to "helvetica" in fonts.dir will
> > produce desired effect, but it will cause problems with reading existing
> > Abiword files. But this should be worked out before 0.9 IMO.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >

> We had the same problem with "Standard Symbols" and "Symbols". The
> solution was to just copy the lines in fonts.dir which contained "Standard
> Symbols" to "Symbol". Now we have a duplicate entries "Standrad Symbols"
> and "Symbol". They're identical fonts but the "Symbol" fonts are
> recognized by the Windows version of Abiword and MS Word.
>
> We can do the same for Helvetica and Helvetic.

 But the user will have to choose from either Helvetica and Helvetic then.
 That's confusing IMO.

> By the way I've often though we should have an edit comand, "change fonts"
> which would change all instances of one font to another font within a
> selected region. It would not be that hard to implement.

 Yes, it would be nice to have one. Also, automatic substitution on import and
export (controlled by preferences) should be available too IMO.

 PS: I think I shouldn't cc to you, since it seems you are reading this list:)
     Same for me :)

> Cheers!
>
> Martin

 Best regards,