distribution of fonts with AW; structure of font path

Subject: distribution of fonts with AW; structure of font path
From: Vlad Harchev (hvv@hippo.ru)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 06:34:40 CDT

 I would like to propose extensions to font search paths used by AW.
 Currently, AW searches opens fonts.dir in each directory in font path and
 registers all fonts in that directory. I propose to slightly extend AW's
 behaviour: after reading fonts in the given directory, AW should try to open
 fonts.dir in subdirectory of that directory, named after current encoding
 name. E.g. if name of current encoding is CP1251 and /AbiSuite/fonts is in
 AW's font search path, AW will (as it always did) open
 /AbiSuite/fonts/fonts.dir, and after that (as I propose) it should try to
 open /AbiSuite/fonts/CP1251/fonts.dir.

 The proposed approach has the following advantages:
1) No extra fonts need to be shipped with AW. Extra fonts for other encodings
  are distributed separately, and have to be extracted under fonts/ (thus
  creating subdirectories in it).
2) There is no need to edit fonts.dir (either by hand or automatically),
  there is no need to invent unique font file names (most localized Type1 font
  files I've seen have the same names as their non-localized font files),
  there is no need for user to add directory with fonts for his locale to
  font path list.
3) This extension doesn't break anything.

 What do you think about this? If you accept it, I will include support for
 this in my patch.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad