Abiword Coypright (was: Re: Microsoft has copyright on AbiWord, thanks a lot Dom)

Subject: Abiword Coypright (was: Re: Microsoft has copyright on AbiWord, thanks a lot Dom)
From: Hubert Figuiere (hfiguiere@teaser.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 02 2001 - 16:23:15 CDT

On Monday, April 2, 2001, at 09:53 PM, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> Now you may think the GPL (and/or other GNU licensed works like the
> LGPL, FDL, etc...) protects your work. What you may not realize is
> that Copyright Law is the _ultimate_ law. The software that cracked
> the encryption (really "uglification") and revealed the follies of
> popular "Internet Filtering" software were perfect examples. The
> software was released GPL, but then revoked later. How? Because
> the creators ultimately have "all rights reserved" to their
> copyright, and can revoke any license at any time (like they did
> when the popular filtering software vendors bought the rights).
> When you post, upload or otherwise transmit through a
> Passport.COM-enabled service, you are effectively giving Microsoft
> a non-exclusive, "blank 'copyright' check" to use your work.

That is one of the reason I give myself copyright to the Mac port
portions of Abiword AS LONG AS to Abisource Inc. So if I become greedy,
Abisource can still keep the work. The reverse is true either. That is
also one of the reason FSF requires given them the copyright for
official GNU work.

Any objections ?

BTW all of your post seems to be a big hoax to make some gratuitous MSFT
bashing.

Hub