Import/Export encoded text files

Subject: Import/Export encoded text files
From: Andrew Dunbar (falconsquire@start.com.au)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 23:14:37 CDT

I've looked through the site, the FAQ, and the source and can't find
an answer so I ask it here:

In MSWord I can load and save a plain text file in
various encoding. I'm surprised to find that AbiWord
seems not to have such a feature. For instance, I
would like to go to File/Open, select Files of type/Encoded text
(*.txt) and then choose from a list
of encodings for this file. Firstly I'd like to be
able to choose between ISO 8859-1, ISO 8859-2, etc.
single byte encodings. Secondly I'd like to be able
to choose UTF-8, SJIS, etc. multibyte/wide encodings -
which may be more difficult to implement.

In MSWord this process is interactive and shows a
section of the text interpreted in the encoding you
have selected. This is very cool but a first step
would just be to be able to choose.

I've also noticed that Indian ISCII encodings seem not
to be supported. Is this AbiWord's fault or inconv's?

I have some knowlege of these areas and am willing and
able to work on them if somebody can help to get me
started.

Andrew.