0.7.14-2 compiled and working on Slackware

Subject: 0.7.14-2 compiled and working on Slackware
From: Ron Ross (ronross@colba.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 02:24:34 CDT

Kudos to all for working so hard and well to bring about AbiWord. I'm
pleased to say that the current release compiled flawlessly (but very
slowly, I think it took longer to compile than a Linux kernel or Emacs:
Linux 2.2.17, egcs 2.91.66, P3 667, 128Mb), and AbiWord runs as well as
ever -- at last! I originally joined the list when, after upgrading
stuff, Abi 0.7.12 stopped working. Then, I could never get AW 0.7.13 to
compile.

About the problems with 0.7.13: this was probably my own doing, as I
didn't know how to properly integrate the extra libraries (expat,
abidistfiles, etc.) into the main abi src tree (unpacking them in the
root directory of the abi source tree (/abi/) didn't work).

The tarball for 0.7.14-2 includes all the extra libraries and packages
within it. I also noticed that the latter were placed in a parent
directory, namely /abiword/, making them "siblings", so to speak, of
/abi. As the main tarball of 0.7.13 did not include this parent
directory and included no instructions that I could find to properly
setup the whole thing to compile, I was at a loss.

Perhaps I was just a little dense at the time and didn't see the
obvious. However, FWIW, I appreciate having the whole thing in a single
tarball, even if that means it is significantly larger -- either that or
have brief intructions in a README in the directory on the server
explaining what to do with all the packages.

Again, thanks for a great little program,

Ron